Your Official Documents

Frequently Asked Questions:

I was given an I-515 form when I entered the U.S. What should I do? 

The instructions for completing the I-515 form process are printed on the back of the form. If you need help, contact ERDT at 800-321-3738. You must complete this process within 30 days, or you will lose your legal status in the U.S. and will need to return home.  You can contact ERDT for help.

What should I do if I lose my passport?

Call ERDT immediately.  If you lose your J1 visa (which is inside your passport) before applying for Social Security, you will need to cancel the program and return home, as you cannot apply for Social Security without your J1 visa, and there is no way to get a replacement J1 visa while you are in the U.S.

You will need a passport to travel back home.  You can get a replacement passport from your country's embassy or consulate in the U.S.  ERDT can assist you with this.

What should I do if I lose my DS-2019 form?

Once you are in the U.S., you'll only need a DS-2019 form to apply for Social Security, to start your job, and if you wish to leave the U.S. and come back (for example, a trip to Canada or Mexico).  If you need a replacement DS-2019 form, just contact ERDT.

May I extend my J1 visa?

The J1 Summer Work/Travel Visa cannot be extended.  You may stay in the U.S. for up to 30 days after your program end date.  If you wish to find out about changing to a different kind of visa, you will need to speak with an immigration attorney.

What about the I-94 card?

The U.S. Government has just switched to an online I-94 system. You can look up your I-94 number at